Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Story of Gabe's New Pajamas



I decided to finally do some grocery shopping since our fridge was down to garlic and 3 week old gravy. So after Gabe's morning nap, we headed out to Meijer (similar to a Walmart, but not). Since it was snowing, I thought it would be a good idea to wait until we got in the store to get a cart, so Gabe wouldn't be sitting in wetness while we shopped. While juggling Gabe, the diaper bag, and all our grocery bags into the store I noticed "hey, Gabe doesn't smell too good", so we made a stop at the restroom to take care of business. This is when I discovered a simple diaper changing would not be sufficient --- we were looking at a full blow out. "Not a problem", I thought - I always keep an extra outfit in Gabe's diaper bag for just such the occasion. Always. Except for today. Last night I took the outfit out to replace it with a warmer one, but didn't quite get to the replacing part of the job. So there I am in the Meijer bathroom with a naked Gabe pondering my little conundrum. I pondered too long. Gabe apparently had other business to take care of and did so, leaving him in a puddle of his own urine. After wiping everything down (including just about every surface of Gabe), and diapering the poor boy up, I had nothing to do but put his jacket and socks back on, gather everything else, and walk into the infant clothing section to buy him an outfit. So here I am with a half-naked child, three grocery bags, and an aromatic diaper bag in tow only to find out that the 9-12 month size is very popular at Meijer. So much so, that I couldn't find a SINGLE outfit for this boy. Finally after 10 minutes, I grabbed his New Pajamas a size too big, and checked out (why I did self check-out with my hands and arms completely full, I'm not sure). We headed back to the bathroom, got the naked boy dressed, and had a great time grocery shopping. 

And today Gabe tried carrots for the first time. My goodness he had a good time eating them. 



1 comment:

Momma_S said...

Isn't motherhood great!!? I am so glad you recorded this event for your posterity and for me. Reminds me about all those fun "thinking on you feet moments".Love the p.j.'s and the orange version of Gabe.~Cheree